Sunday, March 24, 2019

Gripping Beast Plastic Arab Infantry and Cavalry


I have actually been interested in Gripping Beast's plastic Arabs figures for a long time, but did not have an excuse to get some until the players in my RPG campaign decided they wanted to go to Al-Kalim, the Arabia analogue in the Terrinoth world setting. I didn't need a whole box, so I was glad to find a seller on eBay who sold sprues, and I bought one of the infantry, one of the light cavalry, and one of the heavy cavalry one.

I decided on a very simple, probably unrealistic paint scheme for six of the figures, since I needed them for the table soon, and since I wanted them to be generic enough to use for armed civilians, militia, bandits, guards, cultists, etc. I did give them differently coloured headdresses, which will make it easier for me to track hit points in combat.

I built four of the figures with face masks, in the Almoravid Black Guard fashion. I've always wanted a unit of these figures since I first saw some in an all issue of a wargaming magazine decades ago. They will probably be used to represent elite units or cultists in my games.


They are very nice figures which paint up nicely with my usual block-and-wash technique. I am not planning to get more of them for the time being, but if I ever want to expand  them into a full force for my skirmish wargames, they will give me  good core of troops.

2 comments:

DeanM said...

Nice work on these. I like plastics and will keep these in mind if I ever get into this period .

Ray Rousell said...

Great looking figures .