Sunday, April 21, 2019

Reaper Bones Giant Scorpion and Giant Cobra



When it was decided that the party in my RPG campaign would travel to Al-Kalim, the Arabia analogue in the game setting, fg passed me this giant cobra model from the Reaper Bones kickstarter he backed. The model comes as a single piece with an integrated base, and has individually-defined scales.

The base has an Egyptian theme to it, although the cobra itself has more of a naga look in the current D&D style. I picked a sand coloured base for the model, with an alternating brown and white chevron pattern for the back, which I thought came out quite nice.


I also bought a giant scorpion model from the Reaper Bones range from a game store when I happened to be in town. This was a multi-part model. The legs of the model are rather soft, so to support the whole model there is a separate base which fits at where I assume is the centre of gravity of the model. Again, I gave it a simple sand colouration; you can find many pictures of other painters who have decided to give this model a more multi-coloured look on google though.


These are of course useful models to have in any GM's collection, so I expect they will see more service in my future games.

1 comment:

SteveHolmes11 said...

Those have come out really well.

I have a couple of snakes for my latest collection and am not satisfied with the way the scales came out.
I tried drybrushing and washing, and neither seem to pick out the joints between the scales.
Perhaps the sculpting isn't deep enough or these techniques to work.

Yours look really good.