Sunday, July 16, 2023

Grimdark Future Game - Infected Colonies vs Orc Marauders

The battlefield. Spot the Tehnolog tank!

Rick and I happened to have the Sunday open up last-minute, so I traveled down to his place to pass him the dropship and tank I painted for his Traitor Guard army, and to give his terrain set their first bloodying.

I made up two lists of about 1500 pts in Grimdark Future, and Rick played the orcs while I played the Traitor Guards using the Infected Colonies list. For the scenario I had the Guards defend a city-block, while the orcs would come in from any table edge.

Rick opened the battle by charging his Trukk right at the tank and disgorging a unit of Boyz, which proceeded to close-assault the tank.

While this occupied the attention of the tank and half my forces, his Bikes and two units of Boyz attacked from the other end of the battlefield.

I ordered the Guards defending that flank to give ground and fall back...

The dropship - now featuring twin-linked lascannons!

Then sent in the dropship/gunship to strafe the Bikes.


Some of the Boyz did make it into close-combat and eventually gain a foothold in one of the buildings, but the Orcs have taken a beating from the gunship and could not hope to take the whole block.

It was a short game, but we both had fun shoving figures across the nice terrain, rolling lots of dice, and making pew pew noises. Grimdark Future is a fun set of rules for this kind of thing, but the lack of suppression and morale rules does make it a bit simplistic. Perhaps we will give Xenos Rampant another spin in the near future; after all, Rick's collection of second-hand 40K figures is huge, and hopefully I will be able to feature more of them on this blog soon.

No comments: