Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Kings of War 2 first game


Fg and I played two games of KoW this afternoon. This was the first time we played the rules, but they are easy to learn and remember, and with just a few special rules for each of the armies we used. we think we got most of the rules right.

In the first game my goblins spread themselves too thin and did not bring their numerical advantage to bear, and were rolled up on one flank and the whole army destroyed quickly.

In my second game I decided to deploy on a smaller frontage and keep a small reserve. This was a better strategy as it allowed the goblins to execute a number of flank charges on the humans, although with their weak attack and the human's high defence, it took a few rounds to rout a human unit.

The goblins repulsed the attack to their front, and I had just manoeuvred the war haggises (maw beasts in KoW) to charge the human unit that has breached my left flank when they failed their test to charge (due to being Yellow-Bellied), costing me the game.

The hit marker dice holders in action
It has literally been years since we last played a mass-battle game, and both the armies we used today had taken years to be ready, so I am happy that we enjoyed the game. It really does play as fast as people say it does, and the simple movement rules mean that units can and do manoeuvre.

My war haggises!
We played 1000-point games, but I do have enough figures for 2000-point games. The goblins are really quite weak, but I think at higher point games their numbers will be more telling.

I look forward to playing another game soon.


1 comment:

The Kiwi said...

Awesome! Been a while since I played this great game. I think I need to play it some more. cheers