Sunday, June 22, 2014

Reaper Griffin

I like griffons, but I think they are weird. Not just weird because they are monsters which are made up of two different creatures, but because they are neither the size of an eagle nor that of a lion. To my mind it would be more logical if the whole creature were based on the size of a lion. Maybe they are like ligers, which are bigger than a lion or a tiger.

Anyway, when fg backed the Reaper Bones kickstarter, I asked him to get me one of their griffons, which I thought would be useful for RPGs, dungeoncrawls, or as a monstrous mount for my Warhammer (The) Empire army. The Bones material is a bit soft, but it preserved the detail of the feathers and I think the Vallejo primer made a good bond.

Here is the figure painted:

Based on a monster-size 50mm x 50mm base.

On a 100mm x 50mm monstrous mount base, with a Perry mounted men-at-arms.

Another view with the rider.
I like Reaper's interpretation of the griffon. The current Games Workshop one looks like an obese pigeon. I decided against adding a saddle and reins because I want to use the figure as a "wild" griffin for RPGs and dungeoncrawls too - in any case I doubt griffons appreciate bits and reins. I am thinking of getting another rider though; something more flamboyant and with a cast saddle so it looks more "accurate".

No comments: