Sunday, February 08, 2015

Hector


Despite the lack of updates, I *have* been painting - just not so urgently as there isn't an immediate project that I *need* to paint for.

One of the projects I have been painting is this "Hector on chariot" by Redoubt Enterprise. I am a little disappointed by the quality of the sculpt and I had difficulty making out how to assemble the chariot as I ordered two which came in separate ziplocs but then I mixed them up and... well, an instruction sheet included in the package or available on their website would have been nice. I have a feeling I did something wrong because the chariot is sort of tilted backwards...

I painted Hector according to the Connolly illustration, which seems to be what Redoubt based their figure on too. I haven't figured out how I want to flock the chariot base, or how I am going to secure the figures to the chariot and still be able to remove them during the game.

In fact, I haven't even figured out which set of rules I am going to use the figures with when I eventually get enough painted for a game, but I do know whichever set of rules I settle on, I will need to track some stats on the chariot using dice.

Because I saw these cool dice-holders from Warbases and I knew I had to use them somehow.


The dice can be used to mark number of javelins, speed of the chariot, hit points/morale of the hero... something.

5 comments:

SteveHolmes11 said...

Chariots seem to present a number of challenges to sculptors.
This one looks OK from the side elevation, though experts tent to prefer an axle close to the rear of the cab.
Like most models it appears far too wide in the rear view. This seems to be a compromise because crew figures with bases occupy far more area then real men.

A possible fix (are any sculptors reading this) would be to mould the whole crew as a single piece.A similar thing is done for WW2 tank riders. It's more difficult to paint, but allows an authentic huddle of the crew and suitably narrow chariot cabs.

SteveHolmes11 said...

As for the upward tilt, it seems to be another sculptor's problem. They usually under-estimate the required vertical lift of the pole.
I suspect it's through over-familiarity with more modern horse teams (Wagons and gun limbers), where the pole is far flatter.

You may be able to resolve it by gently bending the chariot pole until the bed is level.

In the rear picture it looks as through the yokes are also sat too far back on the horses (They're usually level with the high point on the shoulder).
Re-positioning the yokes might help.
Sometimes (where the castings are a poor fit) it's necessary to file away some of the horse to make a groove for the yokes.

Natholeon said...

The tilt just gives it a sense of acceleration! Nice job with the painting. Have you looked at the Osprey Of Gods and Mortals rules?

captain arjun said...

I tried by OGAM rules but don't really like them. In fact, I am not a fan of the whole SOBH engine.

fatgoblin said...

HECTOR!!!!!!!!