Monday, August 09, 2021

Shieldwolf Miniature Imperium Immortalis Cavalry

I finally got around to assembling and painting the first of the figures I received from the kickstarter several months ago. These are lancers riding on the same kind of mounts that the Death Korps of Krieg cavalry use, but they have the pickelhaube instead of the Death Korps style helmet.

They are beautiful figures, with amazing animation on the mounts, but they were difficult to assemble. Instead of the usual configuration of a head-and-neck and two halves of the torso, all the mounts came with the head-and-neck, the torso with 2 or 3 limbs, plus at least one limb as a separate piece, and a few had legs that had to be joined at the knee. Being thin and made of resin instead of plastic, this made gluing the parts together difficult.

There was some gap-filling to be done on the horses, as well as the joint between the riders' torsos and their waists, which are sculpted onto the mounts. As I said they are beautiful, but I do wish they were easier to assemble.

The animation on these models can be better appreciated in the side view.

They will be facing the British-inspired cavalry from Mad Robot Miniatures in a future game, once I manage to get the heavy weapon teams painted.

4 comments:

Simon Quinton said...

These look fab. More awkward to assemble perhaps but they certainly have more animation in their poses for it.

captain arjun said...

Thanks, Simon. All I can say is that I am glad I just need a single unit of 5 or 6 figures and not a whole army of these guys...

Anonymous said...

They are really great looking! Did they deliver the kickstarter on time?

captain arjun said...

I can't recall exactly, but I don't remember them being later than usual given the covid situation. Some backers did seem to be missing the stretch goals, as I did, but they were quick to make things right once notified.