Thursday, May 16, 2013

Horsies!

I've been trying to find a cheap 28mm draught horse for the past few days but given the recent increase in postage it was no easy task. Then today I came by a shop and found this:


A toob full of horses of about the right size, plus a couple of riders. There are eight different horses, each with a description of the breed or colour on the belly on the horse. As you can see, they are just a bit bigger than a Perry plastic horse.

Now the reason why I needed a draught horse was because I just received a Miniart 1/35 farm cart. For a long time I have felt inadequate because I lacked a wagon or cart model. I know there are many on the market but they are either too expensive for me, or else too... MDF, if you know what I mean. Anyway, I took the chance on the Miniart kit and was quite happy with the detail. However, as befits a 1/35 scale model, its wheels, at 40mm, were too big for my purpose.

The wheels are taller than a man!







What I needed now was a smaller pair of wheels. These Lego 34mm wheels are almost there. fg is going to pass me a few metal wheels from his bits box - hopefully something in the 25mm to 30mm range will do the trick.
 

I really like how heavy draught horses look. They may not be as graceful as an Arab or Andalusian, but the Clydesdales and Percherons have a power and majesty of their own. Now I just have to figure out a way to create a harness for this beauty...

2 comments:

Sean said...

Good find on the horses. Yes the original cart wheels seem a little extreme. Good luck with getting the metal ones, although the lego look okay.

captain arjun said...

Thanks, Sean - I'll keep you posted. :)