Sunday, October 12, 2014

More rats and some gobbos

As part of my new policy to paint for my opponents, I painted another horde of skaven clanrats for fg.


Once again they were bought assembled and primed off ebay, but these were based on flagstone patterned plastic sheets which appear to be the same ones I bought from Wills. I therefore had an idea to use the ones I have to multi-base them, as I thought I could make some sort of a vignette with the skavens coming out of the sewers via a manhole.

As it turned out a manhole would be harder to fashion than I imagined, but in rummaging through my stash of toys I came across the Tehnolog Castlecraft castle which I bought but never assembled, and I found some parts which would work: I decided to make the whole unit as a vignette where the skavens are coming out of the dungeons of a ruin.

The whole unit on a custom-made movement tray.
Skaven coming out of a trapdoor on the floor - I cut the figure's legs off below the knees.
I added a giant rat on the base to make it look less sparse.
Side view again, showing the window.
I am quite happy with the way the unit turned out, and having just won another 35 skaven clanrats off ebay, plan to make another horde with a unit filler using the Castlecraft parts again.

After finishing the horde (37 figures) in 3 weeks, I turned my attention to the old fantasy regiment goblin archers Adrian and fg passed me. They passed me a total of 22, and I decided to make it up to a round 30 with command by buying another 8 off ebay. Unfortunately I had a minor disaster stripping them with Dettol and I lost some bits, resulting in me having one figure short; I decided to use a snotling figure fg gave me to make up the shortfall.


The goblins do not have a movement tray as I am not sure what the best formation to field them in is. They are also unflocked as I thought Adrian should flock them in the same fashion as his other goblins to give the army a more cohesive look.

They do come with home-made mushrooms on the bases, as well as a banner I made using a bit from the Warhammer giant kit and a dwarf helmet from the Skull Pass kit; I painted the helmet the same way Adrian painted those of his dwarves, and put an arrow through it - I call it the "Dwarf Mocker" banner.

While I wait for my next lot of skavens I may work on a unit or two for my own army to. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Millsy said...

Nice work!

DeanM said...

Stunning figures! Nice photography too.